Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sheep and Shepherds

John 10:11 Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me...”

How many shepherds do you know? I know a few people who raise sheep for 4-H, but I’m not so sure they’re what you would call shepherds. But just the same, these folks know their sheep. They know each of their sheep by name and by sight. I guess you get to know sheep pretty well when you raise them from lambs on up.

Jesus knows me. I don’t know where I heard it first, but someone reversed the lyrics on an old Sunday School favorite. “Jesus knows me, this I love.” Jesus can pick you out from a crowd. He knows everything about you, better than you know yourself. That’s hard to believe, but it’s true. He knows the good things and the bad things. He knows the light places and the dark places. Just as the friends who raise sheep know all of the faults and all of the benefits of their sheep, Jesus knows you inside and out.

That can be a bit intimidating and perhaps embarrassing. I don’t know what goes on in a sheep’s mind when they are being “inspected.” (Probably not much) But I know what goes on in my mind when my heart is being inspected by Jesus. When I come to confession and think over the dark spots of my heart, I am embarrassed and ashamed that they are still there. But John says that in Jesus is life and that life is the light of men. So the light has to come and shine in the dark places of our lives so that we can truly live. The sheep need to be looked over from head to tail and the faults revealed so that they can be repaired and the sheep can win the blue ribbon.

Jesus knows his sheep and his sheep know him. He knows everything about them and still loves them. He knows all of the dark places of our hearts and still, the good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep. He laid down his life for you and for me on the cross. And he has some of us shepherds under him to care for his sheep. Pray for your pastors that they may speak with the voice of Jesus and not lead the people astray.

Heavenly Father, you know more about me than I know about myself. Thank you for bringing me into your pasture and continuing to care for me through your shepherds here and now. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment