Tuesday, June 22, 2010

For Such A Time As This

What an amazing weekend! Very busy but satisfying. Three baptisms, an ordination, a retirement and an installation, all in one day. WOW!
And now the dust settles...
     I find myself in the seat of the Senior Pastor at Zion Lutheran Church in Fairbanks, Alaska. Are you kidding me? Just three years ago, I arrived from St. Louis, Missouri fresh from the Seminary and God put me on the anvil of pastoral ministry. For three years, He pounded on me with His hammer and stuck me in the forge, then into a bucket of water. This horseshoe is not finished. There is more pounding to be done. Some of it I'm looking forward to but some of it, I'm not. No one likes to be pounded on by the smithy. But that's the only way to be shaped and formed.
     How will I lead? Not sure to be honest. I pray that the grace of God and the spirit of Jesus are the leads and I'm here to be used by Him. Jesus gave his disciples a hard time for their aspirations to leadership and prominent seats in his kingdom. See, we don't volunteer for this. Jesus calls us and by His Spirit, he enlightens and sanctifies us for service. I can only lead so long as Jesus leads. I can only do what He calls me to do.
     Now, the truth is that I will make mistakes. Probably a lot of them. Most of the time I will make mistakes because I'm trying to do things my own way and thinking I know best. Some of the time, I will make mistakes because I listened to what others had to say and followed their advice. The amazing thing is that even though I am sure to make mistakes and messes, Jesus still says, "Follow me and I will make you a fisher of men."
     God never reveals too much too soon. He only shows me a little at a time because it's all I can handle. So, don't ask me where I'll be in 5 years or 10 years or where the church will be or what we'll be doing. I don't know. God knows, but he's not tellin'. We'll find out together.
     As Senior Pastor, this is my prayer right now, today: Father in Heaven, I'm glad you know what you're doing. Because I'm really not too sure. There's a lot in front of me and around me. I can't do it all. You have graciously surrounded me with gifted people. Encourage them, by Your Spirit, to use their gifts in whatever way you would have them. May we support and learn from one another in the bonds of fellowship. May the grace of your Son Jesus and your mercy pour out over the work of your hand in this place. Help us to come to you not just when we need it, but before we need it. In Jesus' name amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment